Thursday 30 October 2014

Four Days in Germany

 Somehow it was close to, or even past midday when I woke up. Maybe it owes to how tightly the blind on the clear door leading to Leo's balcony holds flush to the wall, or the capacity to completely eliminate the ingress of light through his skylight. I don't think I'd ever slept in a room that dark in my life.

The previous day I'd gotten off a train in the city of Koblenz to a balmy autumn afternoon. I started walking down the platform and found Leo within twenty metres or so. We shook hands and started to catch up on the last five months. I'd last seen him the same night I left Australia and he'd stayed in our country several more weeks after I'd left. After travelling the world for a year, mostly in Australia, then for a couple of months in Asia, he'd arrived back in his home town of Koblenz mid year, close to half way through my time in Europe.


I wasn't sure if I'd actually end up going to see him because he lives a long way from anywhere I planned to visit but when Dan started talking about going to Amsterdam I knew visiting Koblenz was obligatory- I might not get another chance for years and in the scheme of things, what is a the couple of hundred Australian dollars that was needed to make it happen?

We left the station and I immediately noticed “the feel” my previous experiences in Germany seemed to have for me. Koblenz is quite and tranquil, almost too much. We walked 40mins in the afternoon sun, me only carrying the small pack with my laptop and a small amount of clothes that I'd taken from the car before leaving the Netherlands. We walked through quite residential neighbourhoods before crossing a river and entering his town, who's name now escapes me. I probably should write blog posts closer to the actual events, not a whole month after.
In my time in Koblenz we didn't do too much. On one particularly sunny day we went to the city, climbed to the viewing deck of the statue that sits on the confluence of the Rhine and Mosel, encircled by the flags of Germany's regions and took the cable car to the fortress. Leo told me about how the cable car was built temporarily for a flower show after which they had every intention of taking it down but after a large number of people signed a petition and the case worked its way through the German court system it was decided that it was going to stay until 2020, then it would be reviewed again.
The area has a relaxed feel about it, that's for certain. The breadth of the Rhine works it was down lush valleys, passing terraced vineyards and many small communities, each with a church or sometimes more, built in a distinctive architectural style. Leo's very proud of his city and ensured that I saw as much of the city and the surrounding region during my stay.

It definitely is a beautiful region and feels relaxed like few others do but I lived there I think I'd struggle to find things to do. For starters, the topography's gentle. I can't imagine living in an area of gently rolling hills, flat water rivers and generally conservative culture. I don't think I could live separated from the outdoor lifestyle. At home its something I love and it really keeps my life in check like.
On one night we went to a Shisha bar after trying to go to a wine festival that had stopped weeks before with a group of Leo's friends, and on another we went to the twenty fifth birthday of a Turkish friend of Leo and his sister, followed by cocktails in town. Other than that we didn't do much at all of significance, just small things around the city and relaxed. The last time I spent time in this kind of way was months before in Trento, Italy.
On my second last day in Germany the weather was incredibly dull, it didn't even drizzle but was somewhat oppressive, like those days we get every winter in Tasmania. We went for a walk and played a little soccer, simply to get us out of the house. The following day Dan arrived in slightly less bleak conditions. He stayed for about half an hour, I said goodbye to Leo's family and thanked them for their hospitality before Leo saw us off at the curbside. Just as darkness was falling we entered Luxembourg, I think the thirty-fifth country in the world that I have visited. We bought a full tank of fuel at the lower taxed prices offered in the tiny principality before moving on into France, marking the beginning of our longest straight section of driving yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment