Friday 29 August 2014

A Little Spanish City and Little Else

We spent close to a week just in the city of Sabinanigo. We didn't do too much in all honesty. I got my blog up to speed during our once a day visits to the city's many bars. We relaxed in the parks for a good portion of the day and we quickly learned what our favourite siesta spots were. And we discovered some good camping with a soccer oval next door. On one day I climbed one of the light posts that would have been 30m high or so. I put my harness on and climbed the ladder but still I'll freely admit it, it felt very airy.

Towards the end of the week we drove back to Torla where Pablo rented a via ferrata kit from the rude guides that work in the city and had previously taken the others for some barranquismo. I'll be blunt. They really aren't nice people and to do business with them really feels like a scratch on one's concious. But we did. Out of little choice and price comparisons, nothing else.
Once Pablo had a kit we drove 5km down the valley to the picturesque town of Broto and parked on the fringes. A steep gorge with a large waterfall tumbling into it sits almost in the centre of town. We walked the five minutes to the base and gazed up for a while before clipping in. 

The first sections weren't the best. Low down the climbing wasn't technical, exposed, loose or slippery and I didn't even clip in for the first few sections. Then it crossed sections compromised by water; slippery, loose and simply bad climbing. It wasn't the best section of via Ferrata I had done.

Higher up the route traversed a shower of sorts. Water drips off the rock in plentiful enough quantities to get you soaked by the end. I took it very fast, trying to prevent that from happening. I'll just say I succeeded to an extent. Pablo wasn't so lucky, coming out very wet at the other end after giving the slippery ground more care than I did.
Following this there were several ladders on vertical rock and a tunnel. Some serious chimney skills were needed to stop your feet from entering the fast flowing water pounding across the “floor”. We both came out the other end with dry feet I'm happy to say.
As we popped out some guys in neoprene suits were swimming through the gorge, headed for the abseil point that marks the most technical bit of the barranco that sometimes follows the same route as the via ferrata. I watched them enviously, their presence arousing some kind of longing in me to have that kind of independence in the mountains. Europe would be a great place to get into it with well written up routes and plenty of fixed abseil points. 

The route crossed the gorge and followed its steep sides, revealing several spectacular waterfalls. We went for a walk in one section where the climbing stopped and while trying to traverse to another gorge Pablo managed to fall in up to his hips, saturating a good portion of his body for the remainder of the trip.
The sun was setting by the time we got back to Broto. The track pops out in the town through an alley that unusal passes practically through someone's house. Don't ask me.

Days later we had to return to the guides in Torla that we swore never to visit again. We had just rented ice axes and crampons and needed helmets as a safety precaution in the mountains, something we could seem to obtain anywhere else. I was not happy to support their business again.
This weather had to go before we entered the mountains

No comments:

Post a Comment