Friday 29 August 2014

Back in the Mountains; A Traverse of Vignemale

With strain I sit up from where I lay on the hard, concrete floor. The door is slightly ajar, a thin film of light flooding into the confines of the poorly lit space. I pull on some shorts and yank the heavy metal door open just enough to squeeze out. The grass is soft against the soles of my feet, the sun blinding, warm on my chest. I moved around sluggishly, dragging myself to the creek to get some water, becoming a little lighter on my feet with each step. As I get back Pablo is just waking up and poking his head out the door revealing the day nature has produce for us. I lay on the compact grass, watching the small cumulus clouds race the streaks of cirrus through the sky, feeling a little humbled by the towering masses of the mountains on either side of the valley.

* * *

30 Hours Earlier

The sound of music coming from the vibrating phone by my head easily awakens me from my shallow, intermittent sleep. 6:15. Time to go. It takes a few minutes to muster the strength to wrench myself entirely from my sleeping bag. Its still pitch black outside. I frantically stuff some things in a bag; mountain clothes, plenty of food and the other small items that a big day in the mountains demands. I tuck my crampons inside my helmet to try and guard the contents of my pack, placing them both at the very top. After strapping our ice axes to the outside we're off, heading for the barranco, a steep creek of sorts from where our ascent will begin.

The route through the hard stuff
Standing at the bottom it looks huge. And I probably can't see the whole expanse. The map shows we have almost one and a half kilometres of elevation to gain before we hit the rocky ridge. It seems almost laughable to me, watching the silhouettes of the mountains gradually gain more detail. We arrived well after dark the night before and now we are leaving the valley well before it is light. 



 
The traverse route; Refugio Labaza to Baysellance
We start ascending steadily. I watch the terrain change beneath my feet from pine roots, the sedges, to succulents and finally to rock. As the valley narrows I watch a family of ibexs dart up the cliffs, gaining perhaps 200m in minutes, sending loose rock down after them. At around 2700m the walking changes completely to rock. I walk up steep slabs, rendered clean by harsh winter after harsh winter.

The cairns are patchy at best. It feels like I'm back in Tassie all over again, having to do my own navigation and make route choices without the constant aid of tracks or other markers. But that's how I like it. I love the feeling of being completely immersed in the landscape I'm walking in, when its just you and the mountains and there's few signs of past visits to deter your eyes from the grandeur of the landscape.

Below the huge, smooth headwall that seemed to be made out of marble there are some walled bivvy sites which could have easily been big enough for small tents. My eyes follow the wall to the left, probing the mountains for any sign of the mystical corridor that would deposit us on the ridge forming the border between France and Spain. Nothing. Everything blends in from this angle. I guess it'll become apparent as we get higher. My eyes move down, following the curving mass of ice down the narrow gully. It seems the sun has only just hit it. We're making good progress.
After a long-ish break I shed the layers I put on to ward off the cool of the morning and attach my crampons. The glacier starts metres away. I start moving quickly on slopes of about 35 degrees, making sure my feet are far enough apart that there is no chance they will get caught on one another. As the gully narrows it gives the prospective climber a choice; a quite narrow and steep piece of ice, standing like a solidly reinforced bridge within the gully itself, or a section of easy rock, of course done in crampons. I took the ice very carefully before moving onto a little rock where I had to.
 
The glacier remained steep and got us higher quickly. In one point the slopes must have been at least 50 degrees and without any kind of anchors I was glad it was short lived. I firmly shoved my ice axe into the now semi soft glacier, kicking in steeps as I went. Lower down I thought I had seen a cairn. Turns out I was right. A huge cairn sits on a stretch of precariously loose rock between glaciers and once you are there the chimney itself becomes painfully obvious. 

Two eagles circle overhead, battling for my attention over the French grade III rock that is to come. Maybe the crux is higher up....

After a brief break I'm moving up the tight, enclosed corridor, staying well ahead of Pablo in different gullies in case I dislodge loose rock. Each move feels easy and has no exposure.
The chimney
As I pull myself up a small overhang my head suddenly emerges above the ridges. Wow. The bulk of the Pyrenees to the north is stretched out before me, rendered desolate by the harshness of each winter and dotted by small lakes nesting in amongst the rocky facades. My heart begins to beat a little faster. We are close. 
I can now see the two eagles circling in the valley on the opposite side of the ridge, gracefully cutting lines through the air far below, revealing how far we have come. The valley of Bujaruelo where we started now appears tiny, as if its merely the small groove in the landscape formed by a mountain creek. The ridge ahead is like a knife edge. I step softly, trying to be conscious of the loose rock I can see lining the tops of big drops on the surrounding slopes.
The cairns persist for a little while before disappearing for good. The ridge is relinquished for slopes of loose shale, a game of picking the line that's going to cause the least problems. When climbing European mountains loose rock is an innate part of the experience. I have never seen scrambling routes on good, clean rock.

I see too climbers, carrying rope on the ridgeline. Knowing I'm so close I can almost touch it I speed up and in less than 50m I'm standing on a small, shaley summit, finally on the border of the two countries. The Glacier d'Ossoue stretches out before me in a bowl ringed by a rocky ridgeline, one of the greatest remaining glaciers in the Pyrenees and quickly receding.
The ground shifts below my feet as I descend the rocky ridge to the edge of the glacier, chunks of rock tumbling onto its upper flanks. At least three parties are on the same ridge. I can see the silhouettes of two figures illuminated against the harsh alpine sun, victoriously standing on central peak. I can see another party of its rocky slopes and another in the saddle beneath it. And plenty on Vignemale itself.
This area is so well frequented that it's obvious where everyone walks on the glacier. There are no crevasses or steep slopes to excite. Only flat, easy walking and in five minutes the loose slabs of Vignemale's normal route extend into the sky above us.

It felt a little annoying to be putting crampons on and off for such a stretch. By the looks of the footprints in the snow many don't even bring crampons when coming from France. This would be incredibly hard work with 2.5km or so of glacier walking. Although the glacier seems to be fairly shallow and crevasse free the slopes are steep and your feet would be sliding everyone.

The summit being this close only pushes me harder. I climb up past a party that are using a rope to come back down, worried about the lack of features in the rock. I take a more direct route that most, following what appears to be limestone rather than the distinctive red rock. I see several more parties that aren't using protection but are roped up glacier style. From the looks of things their days would get very interesting if one of them was to slip. The other would be taken with them.

Most people just climb free, despite a few sections of loose rock. This is what I had chosen to do too and didn't once feel uncomfortable. The climb is technically easy and for anyone used to even Tassie's scrambly mountains it is non-problematic.

As I arrive on the rounded, compact summit the bulk of the Pyrenees takes shape, extending for hundreds of kilometres in each direction, the spine dividing Spain and France. The iconic mass of Monte Perdido is easily visible, deceptively close, with the highest summits of the Pyrenees beyond. I think of Andorra, nestled somewhere on the other side of those peaks, where I had been weeks earlier. Close if you're a bird but otherwise a huge distance away, guarded by battalions of serrated ridges of loose rock and deep valleys.
We spend more than an hour on top, intoxicated by the view. I swear I could spend all day on top of a mountain, just probing its nuances with my eyes, somehow never becoming bored. The occasional bird might pass by, sweeping and diving through a few circles above my head, momentarily pulling my attention away from the landscape. 
The broken red rock poses a bit more of a problem on the way down but still we arrive at the end of the rock and the start of the glacier quickly, strapping on crampons once again. The descent is somewhat tiresome. It goes without saying but the landscape is spectacular as per usual, however the walking feels somewhat monotonous after what we've already done. The glacier seems to go on forever. In total it might stretch on for two or three kilometres, terminating at around the same elevation as Baysellance Refuge, the most common starting point for an assault on Vignemale and the direction from which every person started that day but us. Nobody else climbed via the Corredor de Moscova, the far less frequented ascent route that we had chosen to ascend, starting from Spain, not France.
As we pass Baysellance a quick check of the time reveals it's after six. Daylight is receding. We've now been on the go twelve hours and have quite a few more to go before we can sleep.
100m of climbing is followed by 500m of descent. The tracks are great but that kind of up and down after a long day is enough to break anyone. The mountains are already illuminated before we start descending, shrouded in a warm glow. The north face of Vignemale sits entirely in shade, making in ominous, threatening, fully accentuating the size of the fissures in the steep glacier guarding its feet. 
 
On reaching the valley floor, another 500m of ascent awaits, a major mental challenge of the exhaustion levels we are now wearing. We sit down, the sun entirely gone from the valley, and rug up. We eat quickly, frantically almost, but then can't compel ourselves to get up. We linger ten minutes more, savouring the respite from standing.

The first few steps are a struggle. Then the food begins to kick in. It had been far too long since I'd snacked. As I get higher I feel stronger and as the grasses are relinquished for rock I begin to get excited. Before long I am standing above Bujaruelo once again. I watch Pablo climb the last few metres, a smile growing on my face.

We don't linger. We quickly dash down the winding path benched into the scree, marked by cairns. The sun set a reasonable time ago. By the time we reach the very bottom the light is well and truly on its way out, meaning it is around 9:45. We move faster, wanting to make as much progress before the light disappears altogether.

We were loosing the track even in the fading light. Once darkness sets in things are no different. What we thought would be an easy dash back down the valley turned into an off track walk in pitch darkness. The sky is completely clear but there is no moon. Few stars. We listen to the tumbling and falling of the creek, serving as a guide to deliver us back at Refugio Labaza, home.

The walking is open and easy, aside from a few steep slopes. It takes hours, we're moving so slowly. A few times we think we've passed it until I look at the mountains and think about what the alignment is like from the Refugio. The walk seems to drag on. And on.

Then we almost stumble on the rocks bordering a large creek. I almost start running. I recognise this creek. I recognise the valley it is pouring from. We have been here before. This is where we started climbing eighteen hours earlier. Eighteen hours.

I force the door open, a stiff, heavy piece of metal trying to bar me from sleeping, probably waking up the “neighbours”. Oh well. That door scrapes loudly no matter what.

I stumble in and find my sleeping bag. Despite the uncomfortable sleeping arrangements I'm out like a light. It's now 1:30. And we left camp at 6:45. Talk about a productive day.
* * *

Walking through the gates marking the end of the valley felt surreal. After the previous day we drag our feet, moving very slowly, nursing the pads on the bottom of our feet, or what is left of them. We had woken up at close to midday, no real surprise considering the events of the previous “day”. With only a kilometre left to walk we stop. I strip down to only my shorts and dash for the water under the bridge, lazily caressing the steep sides. I come to a tree hanging over the water and don't bother progressing any further. I simply throw myself in head first, cleanly breaking the perfection of the mineral blue pool.



No comments:

Post a Comment